Dual diagnosis is a practical treatment approach aiming to maximize the outcome of addiction and mental health treatment. This is often the outcome when patients struggle with drug abuse and mental illness.
The treatment incorporates some treatment strategies, including therapies, a 12-step model, counseling, and psychiatry medication, among other measures. It is vital to address both issues together if you are to deal with the substance menace effectively since the mental disorder is a contributing factor too.
Who Benefits from Dual Diagnosis Addiction Treatment
This is a solution that is needed for patients struggling with both mental disorders and addiction. Usually, mentally ill patients struggle with self-medication, hence the substance abuse. However, the treatment of both disorders is based on dual diagnosis. Most mental disorders that struggle with addiction include:
- Anxiety or Social Anxiety Disorder
- Borderline Personality Disorder
- Schizoaffective Disorder or Schizophrenia
- Bipolar Disorder
- Psychotic Disorders
- Other Psychiatric Disorders
Consider enrolling your loved one at a facility such as Skyward Treatment center, where they can get the support they need to overcome their addiction through residential treatment programs.
Causes of Dual Diagnosis in Addiction Treatment
Before getting to the root of the problem, it is essential first to understand the cause to tackle it effectively. Dual diagnosis causes are complex and could lead to serious aftermath if left unmanaged.
Some people develop intense mental disorders when their addiction is left unmanaged. Both drug abuse and mental illnesses cause an im, balance in the brain neurotransmitters and lead to a dependency for one to feel calm and at ease. Unfortunately, continued substance use only complicates the issues and could trigger psychosis.
Dual diagnosis treatment will optimize treatment in the following manner:
- It helps diagnose mental health conditions that the addict may be unaware of.
- Treatment is handled in a safe environment
- Patients are equipped with behavioral coping techniques that help them manage their mental and health better
- Supports safe withdrawal during the detox phase
- Provides a safe medication ground in case of psychiatric support
- Incorporates the Twelve-step program that helps support your treatment program
- Treating mental health disorders and addiction at the same time in a safe
- Diagnosing self-medication patterns of addiction in patients with unmanaged mental health disorders
Is Dual Diagnosis Treatment Effective?
You should remain hopeful if you struggle to get a loved one to feel healthier again after a series of mental illnesses and addictions. It is not always easy to get back to your feet, but it is also not impossible to manage the situation.
Dual diagnosis treatment is effective and one of the best ways to get things back in order. This program ensures that mental disorders are addressed appropriately and that the patient doesn’t have to self-medicate with substances to feel better. Getting them committed to a facility that cares about the end goal is advisable. Call Skyward Treatment facility to start your journey to healing today.